Sponsors

The Blogger

Vanessa Ng * 20 * 28th February * RVHS * NBS
Twitter Mail Facebook


I dream of becoming a magician, a chef, a chocolatier, a fashion designer, a movie director, a DJ, a professional photographer and a stock market guru. I also want my very own candy outlet. (: My blog comprises photographs and random thoughts. I like to keep my blog happy and I'm easily inspired. It's nice knowing that people are reading, so thank you. :D

Tweet Tweet

    Follow me on Twitter (:

    12 July 2012

    Waterland, by Graham Swift


    I was searching for good books in my school library when I found this. I was really skeptical about this cause it won a Booker Prize, and I usually don't appreciate books that won the Booker Prize. It's ironic that a Literature (and Linguistics, Maths and Economics) student is saying this but yeah.

    My take on books is that I don't read books whose first two pages fail to interest me, I know this is an unwise and unfair way to judge a book (although it's better than judging it purely by the cover) but that's just how I roll. :D

    (Why did I say that?)

    So anyway, there are just so many inspiring, quotable quotes in the book. Well, I guess I'm kind of biased cause the style of writing appeals to me a lot. Anyway, here are two nice bits from the book. I didn't manage to read the second half though, might borrow it another day. (:

    "Whatever you learn about people, however bad they turn out, each one of them has a heart, and each one of them was once a tiny baby sucking his mother's milk..." - Waterland, by Graham Swift"[The here and now] informed me that history was no invention and indeed existed - and I had become part of it." -Waterland, Graham Swift

    I can write a full-fledged essay for each quotation, to be honest. I know this abstract concept can sound a tad emo (especially the latter) but the way it's phrased encapsulates the entire essence elegantly. I LIKE! :D It's not the quotes itself solely, but the entire book actually. Go check it out if you're interested. (:

    Ending off with another quote from an extract from a novel or a book:

    "For there is no creature whose inward being is so strong that it is not greatly determined by what lies outside it." -George Eliot, Middlemarch

    No comments:

    Post a Comment