Sponsors

The Blogger

Vanessa Ng * 20 * 28th February * RVHS * NBS
Twitter Mail Facebook


I dream of becoming a magician, a chef, a chocolatier, a fashion designer, a movie director, a DJ, a professional photographer and a stock market guru. I also want my very own candy outlet. (: My blog comprises photographs and random thoughts. I like to keep my blog happy and I'm easily inspired. It's nice knowing that people are reading, so thank you. :D

Tweet Tweet

    Follow me on Twitter (:

    03 July 2011

    Ice-cream and pie. (also: West Mall and GUI)

    IMG_0040

    IMG_0039

    IMG_0038

    IMG_0037


    Greetings everyone. (: I'm just back from a bit of arcading and window shopping (I actually prefer to term it window browsing) at West Mall. It's kind of like my childhood place for my uncle (who really dotes on me) would bring me there for coffee bean. (Which is why I've never liked Starbucks. Tried it in Genting, hated that flavour.) Yes, when you peple were drinking milk and juices, I was having Coffee Bean.


    Hmm.


    Anyway, I would like to share GUI with you people. It's initialism for "Ground Up Initiative". Located at Bottle Tree Park, the miniature kampung is just a 5 minute walk from Khtib MRT station (and practically UNMISSABLE)


    I (alongside with a handful of classmates) have the opportunity to talk with Mr Tay, a selfless man who made the world a much better place. I didn't enquire about his age but I presume it's around 40+.


    He gave up his high-paying job to be fully committed to GUI. It aims to encourage people to be not taken over by Capitalism, at least not completely, and indulge in nature. They hope to offer an alternative to capitalism. Big dream indeed, and seemingly unachievable at first. Everything, starting from GUI.


    In fact, Mr Tay just returned to Singapore after setting up (or visiting, I could not remember) an orphanage in jian pu zhai (pardon my bad Mandarin but I think it's Cambodia) He's giving his all, dedicating his life to this project. He calls it a "mission".


    Of course, some people thought that he was "Crazy" and stuff, giving up his job and everything. Thankfully, Many people aided him in the process. I said that he was "very lucky" to have such aweome people and he replied that he created his own "luck" by being in this environmental fight to begin with.


    I respect him, for daring to do what he adores, and saving the Earth step by step.


    If possible, I'll be joining them to a trip to Cambodia to help them. I am unsure of the details yet but will ask him soon (got his number) Hopefully, the date will be set after Promos and I'll be doing something meaningful after my examinations. (:


    P.S: He shared so many stories with us.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment