Sponsors

The Blogger

Vanessa Ng * 20 * 28th February * RVHS * NBS
Twitter Mail Facebook


I dream of becoming a magician, a chef, a chocolatier, a fashion designer, a movie director, a DJ, a professional photographer and a stock market guru. I also want my very own candy outlet. (: My blog comprises photographs and random thoughts. I like to keep my blog happy and I'm easily inspired. It's nice knowing that people are reading, so thank you. :D

Tweet Tweet

    Follow me on Twitter (:

    03 November 2010

    Book reviews (you might adore books that I detest)

    Anyway people, I've read (and scanned through the boring parts) quite a number of books in the past 1 or 2 months. Due to my immense boredom, I shall consolidate the books that I've read and do a little analysis of it. (:

    I'm trying to urge you people to read during the holidays okay! (that's if, you're having one now.)

    #1. The Book of Tomorrow by Cecelia Ahern

    IMG_0301

    As if the title doesn't tell enuogh, it's basically about a book that talks about what will happen tomorrow. So this girl simply attempts to change it's course, that's about it.

    This book is boring and I don't like it. (You might, but I don't.) The only good part is probably the sections whereby you read about tomorrow's happenings and watch it fall into place, that's about it. This book doesn't intrigue as well, so I would give it a 3/10 only. Maximum 4/10.

    #2. PS, I Love You by Cecelia Ahern

    It's basically about this woman whose husband died. She's trying to get her life back on track with something that her husband left behind.

    This book gives a promising beginning, but then everything dies down. There isn't much of a climax. It doesn't really compel me to continue reading. I don't know why it's a best seller.

    There are slightly touching scenes, but not touching enough to make me cry (unlike The Time Traveller's Wife, which will be my favourite book of all times. Period.) It's just an average book. I'll give it a... 6/10?

    #3. There's No Place Like Here by Cecelia Ahern

    IMG_0282

    I'm not gonna write any summary for this book else I'll just spoil everything.

    The concept is interesting and fresh, something that you can actually relate to in your real life. Something that will make you go, "OOOH..." kinda thing. The middle portion is pretty boring, but you'll still read on anyway for the sake of finding out what happened ultimately.

    The ending is pretty stupid though. Yeap. So I'll give it a 6.6/10.

    #4. Wuthering Heights (based on the novel by Emily Brontë)

    Everything happened in India. It's a romance based novel, I would say. It's pretty interesting and things happen fast. It's in the form of a play, so you're actually reading it dialogue-style. Everything is concise, straight to the point. So basically, if you skip a page, you miss out on a lot.

    I like how they add Hindi words in the text, pretty fresh. The story is a little cliche except with a couple of new ideas. So I would say that some parts are predictable, then all of a sudden it changes path kinda thing. Quite interesting. I'll give it a 7.2/10. Yeap.

    #5. The Taming of The Shrew (Shakespeare on the double)

    The title just summarized eveyrthing for you.

    It's quite boring actually, the story itself. It's also in dialogue-style, a literature. I would give it a 4/10.

    SPOILER ALERT (highlight if you wanna be spoilt, okay not funny): The shrew gets ultra tamed eventually. Like seriously, tamed to the extent that I feel is a bit off. How can she change in such a short span of time? So much that it kinda ends the story abruptly.

    Just for your rough guide, I'll give my favourite book (The Time Traveller's Wife YAYE YAYE YAYE) a 8.9/10. Close to a 9 but not exactly a 9 due to the boring bits. The beginning is a little confusing, but the confusion is nice cause you get to watch things fall into place then you start to nod slowly. There are boring parts though, that's why it's not a 10, but the other nice parts made it alright.

    The ending pages simply bring tears then you'll feel extremely low afterwards. But the final touch of it makes you smile a little. (: Read to find out yo.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment